The Picos de Europa is the perfect outdoor playground. Outdoor activities include, walking or hiking, climbing, bird watching, mountain biking and road biking, and horse riding. Or if you prefer a more leisurely holiday you can stroll through the streets of some of the pretty market towns such as Potes. There are spectacular drives through the mountains with view points to take in the beautiful scenery and picnic. You can find information on what to do in the area in a variety of guide books but here are some of our best days out from Casa La Pisa.
1. From the front door of the hotel a varied range of short, to all day circular walks to suit all.
With endless opportunities for bird watching, photography or simply enjoying the stunning scenery. Visit our ‘twin ‘ village Somaniezo (1km) and Virgin of the light Chapel (5Km). Or visit the vinery at Cabriezo the home of superb Picos wines and the distilled spirit Orujo.
2. Visit the quaint old market town of Potes (9 km).
The town is in the heart of the Liébana region, an area that is surrounded by spectacular mountains, with running streams and rivers. Its streets have many bridges, as well as buildings and monuments with centuries of history, such as the Infantado Tower (15th century). As well as the quaint old cafes and restaurants and shops.
3. Santo Toribio Monastery (circa 6th century) a couple of kilometres from Potes. Is one of the most important religious sites of the Catholic faith and home to the ‘Lignum Crucis’, part of the original cross.
4. Spectacular cable car ride from Fuete De.
Taking passengers to 2000m above sea level. The longest single span car in Europe. From the cafe at the top you can take a stroll and return, or take the day to enjoy more demanding walks.
5. Ruta deTresviso.
A classic of the area. A popular walk from the Hermida Gorge up a dramatic 850 metre ascent to the village of Tresviso where the famous Tresviso blue cheese is handmade.
6. Visitor Centre at Sotama a multi-lingual well presented centre, informative and engaging.
7. Bear Centre, or La Casa del Oso Cantabrico in the village of Verdena in the Palentina mountains, Leon just south of Pension La Pisa is a new interpretation centre dedicated to the preservation of the brown bear which is under threat in the area. This interactive and well presented centre is well worth a visit.
8. Ancient Castaña Trees at Cabañes, these ancient chestnut trees some over one thousand years old located high on a grassy verge give way to amazing views across the valley to the western mountains. There are barbeques for public use if you want to take a picnic and cook.
9. Bulnes and the Funicular, Ruta del Cares, is a tunnel railway that climbs 2 km through the mountain to the hamlet of Bulnes for the more energetic, take the old pack horse route to the village or walk the path to the village of Cain through the Cares gorge.
10. Soplao Caves, gain access to the caves on a miners train and see the amazing stalactites and stalagmites created. www.elsoplao.es
11. Altamira Caves is a cave in Spain famous for its cave paintings dated 40000BC to 10000BC featuring drawings and polychrome rock paintings of wild mammals and human hands. www.showcaves.com/english/es/showcaves/Altamira.html
12. Miradors - view points with steep mountain passes and spectacular gorges the area has numerous viewpoints from which to take memorable pictures.
13. Beaches on the Coast Verde. The waters of the Bay of Biscay are very clean and surprisingly warm. Some of the most fantastic beaches in northern Spain are easily accessible through the Hermida Gorge. Take your pick from long sandy stretches ideal for surfing or secluded coves with high cliffs and quaint fishing villages notably LLanes and San Vicente Del La Barquera. Our nearest beach at Pechon takes approximately 40 minutes by car.
14. Liebana Valley offers ample opportunities for more adventurous outdoor activities such as mountain biking, horse riding, canoeing, canyoning, and climbing. We can put you in contact with the relevant professional guides.
John and Gwynneth at Casa La Pisa have extensive knowledge of the Picos and can advise on alternatives if you so wish.